Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snickers Cookies (and cookie bars)


These cookies were born over a gmail chat with our dear friend Maud who is currently living in LA. I started talking about how I wanted to make a cookie that tasted like a snickers bar, and she immediately suggested rolos. Genius! I've been thinking about it ever since so I decided to try them tonight. I used pretty much my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe but added peanuts and rolos to try to replicate that ooey gooey salty sweet deliciousness that comes in a snickers bar. Oh, also, this is a large recipe. You could cut it in half or you can make it all and then save half the dough in the freezer. It's never a bad thing to have cookie dough around.

Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups rice flour mix
1/4 cup teff flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp salt

chocolate chips
peanuts
rolos candy

Preheat the oven to 375. Cream the butter and sugar in your mixer or with a hand mixer. Add the eggs and beat, then add the vanilla. Beat until smooth. Technically you should do the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, but I find if you do it in a stand mixer you can just throw it all on top of the wet ingredients, give it a preliminary stir and then beat it in. It comes out evenly mixed. I usually use a combination of the rice flour mix along with teff and millet flour which are both whole grains. This time I was out of millet so I substituted in some quinoa flour that I was given over the holidays (yes people give me flour for Christmas). Either way it's nice to add in a whole grain so there is some semblance of health to counteract all the butter and sugar and chocolate. And man, this quinoa flour made these cookies extra fluffy and delicious. We're going to have to experiment a lot more with this quinoa stuff. I threw in probably about half a cup of chocolate chips. They're the one thing I don't believe in measuring. Just look in the dough and see if it looks about as chocolatey as you want your cookies to be. If not, add more! I also threw in a handful or two of peanuts. I left them whole, or really halved, however they came in the can. I might chop them up next time. I cut the rolos in half because I thought it would be too much to bite into all at once. Here is everything before it was fully mixed in. Mmmmmm.




To bake them I went two ways. First, I made a tray of small cookies to see how those would turn out.

Then I made a batch of big cookies that I know will just turn into cookie bars, or cookie pie as I like to call it. For some reason I go through the motions of making separate cookies even though I know that they will disappear in the baking. Maybe one day I'll just go all out and fill the entire tray. For now, it looks like this.




Oh, man. These cookies are SO GOOD. Salt, chocolate, peanuts, caramel. They're insane when they're warm, but somehow when they're cold they're even more reminiscent of a snickers bar. Except maybe even better.







No comments:

Post a Comment